Banana flowers are called banana hearts for a reason. Banana flowers are used by South and Southeast Asians as a vegetable. The flowers is large and has a dark purple red blossom. The small flowers would be found on the inside part which would turn into the banana.
Banana flowers are packed with vitamins A, C, E, fiber and potassium. They can be eaten raw, when fresh. However, banana flowers are mostly used in soups, curries and fried foods. They have a bitter taste which resembles that of an artichoke. Moreover, both the fleshy parts of the bracts and the heart are edible.
Besides being pretty and used for decoration, the banana flowers have a numerous health benefits.
Health benefits of banana flowers
- Treat infections
- Cure wounds
- Treat diabetes and anemia
- Improves lactation
- Reduce free radical activity
- Help with menstrual problems and weight loss
- Boost mood and reduce anxiety
- Prevent early aging
- Eliminate uterus problems
- Improve gastrointestinal health
- Prevent heart disease
- Prevent Alzheimer and Parkinson’s disease
- Keep control of the menstrual cycle
- Improve the function of the kidneys
- Lower the high blood pressure
Here’s a recipe on how to prepare banana flowers at home and reap the benefits.
Banana Flower Curry Recipe
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seed
- ½ cup (chopped) green onions
- 2 green chilies
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp crushed coconut
- 1 (nicely chopped) banana flower
- Put the oil in a pan and let it heat on a low flame.
- Then, add the mustard seed to it.
- Let the mustard seeds sputter properly and then add curry leaves to it.
- Add the green onions and chiles and fry it properly.
- Later, add the banana flower and mix everything well.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric and salt to the curry and spread it well.
- Now, pour the water in the pan and cover it with a lid. Let the curry get cooked properly for 5-10 minutes.
- At the end, when the curry is cooked properly, add the coconut and stir well.
Note: In order to avoid the liquid which can leave stains, one should use gloves to cook.